Reservation Changes Ahead for Out of State Residents?

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Reservation Changes Ahead for Out of State Residents?

Postby CampADK » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Looks like a bill to give NY residents an edge on campground reservations is on its way to be passed at some point in the future. Sadly this means out of state campers from NJ, PA, VT, ON, QC etc that have for decades enjoyed camping in NY may have a hard time booking their summer vacations at New York State Parks. So far it sounds like this applies to OPRHR (State Parks), maybe not DEC, not sure... When you consider that you usually have to book to the second 9 months out to reserve a site during prime summer, this could mean you are out of luck in the future...

This legislation was originally proposed in Feb 2015, and was recently passed in June 2016. The bill passed the Senate but never got out of committee in the Assembly so it didn't pass the full legislature... yet. So we could see this happen in 2017?

See http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... l?nav=5046

For the original legislation, see http://legislation.nysenate.gov/pdf/bills/2015/S3051 and https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/S3051
Heather

Re: Reservation Changes Ahead for Out of State Residents?

Postby Heather » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:56 am

Don't forget MA, NH, ME, etc...Has any other state run cg organization done this? Not out here that I know of.
Hopefully it fails..... my family spends thousands per year on ADK businesses while we're there, I'm sure others both locals and non do as well, but it's not like we're having an adverse effect? (OK maybe MA natives LMAO :lol: jk)

We drive 7 hrs from NH because we love FCP/Rollins, and are happy to pay higher fees, would hate if we couldn't.
Sounds like just by the nature of these restrictions, cancellation sites would be out of our out of staters reach for sure, and my guess is the rebook rate would suffer drastically.
Is there a petition to sign?
Heather

Postby Heather » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:55 am

Heather wrote:Don't forget MA, NH, ME, etc...Has any other state run cg organization done this? Not out here that I know of.
Hopefully it fails..... my family spends thousands per year on ADK businesses while we're there, I'm sure others both locals and non do as well, but it's not like we're having an adverse effect? (OK maybe MA natives LMAO :lol: jk)

We drive 7 hrs from NH because we love FCP/Rollins, and are happy to pay higher fees, would hate if we couldn't.
Sounds like just by the nature of these restrictions, cancellation sites would be out of our out of staters reach for sure, and my guess is the rebook rate would suffer drastically.
Is there a petition to sign?

Just water to add, after posting the above I came across THE NASTY NOTE thread, incredible.

This is all based on entitlement.

Not ONE of my bookings from countless trips over the years was booked more than a month... maybe two in advance, in theory one would say that the out of state waiting period wouldn't affect me. But the point is also illustrated that residents of NY had ample time booking these trips, I didn't steal them out from under them. And they were excellent sites as well.

I camp at other places in my state that book fast also, some years I can't book at all. Even though I have 30 years plus history in some cases and feel more than disappointed, I don't begrudge others and I certainly don't feel superior entitlement whether or not tenure and/or proximity applies. If you live near the Meadowlands and have been going to games since you were a kid, should you be able to purchase season tickets before others? Or perhaps only NJ residents? What if you move?
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Postby mistermatt1984 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:15 am

Anyone been trying to book the last few days and noticed it has gotten almost impossible? My mom booked one site but we've been trying to get a site for the couple who goes with us. My mom got ours because she happened to be on the west coast that day(theory is she was closer to the California servers) and since, we can't get anything booking at 8:59:59, always comes up inventory not available. Seems terrible this year.
nvp101
Years at Fish Creek: 40
Camping Equipment: Travel Trailer

Postby nvp101 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:55 pm

:?
Last edited by nvp101 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PS600REVX
Your Real Name (optional): Paul

Postby PS600REVX » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Depends what area you are shooting for too. Matt, what area did u find tough to get?
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Postby mistermatt1984 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:39 pm

As of this morning there was nothing open from 140-240 except a couple in the 160s
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:13 pm

Had no problem last Monday and I didn't book till 10am 9 months out. Then again I wasn't after a site over 20 foot.
PS600REVX
Your Real Name (optional): Paul

Postby PS600REVX » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:03 am

Yeah my group managed all 11 Site 220
Click for more info!

-230 6/30-7/9 but that takes some serious coordination on my part and a small army clicking each day.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”