Quiet wooded campsite near the water?

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
mrsoz88
Your Real Name (optional): Stephanie

Quiet wooded campsite near the water?

Postby mrsoz88 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Hello Fellow Campers1

I need some advice. My fiance and I are planning a "mini-moon" following our wedding in September, to get away for a few days afterwards. (Our actual honeymoon won't be until next Spring).

We went to Rollins Pond a few years ago and absolutely loved it. We were at a campsite in a wooded area and it had direct access to the water, where we could sit out and look at the stars at night. I was hoping to go to this same spot this year however Rollins Pond closes in early September.

I've never been to Fish Creek before, but I know it's right next door. I'm having trouble envisioning from the website, how the campsite is laid out and how similar it is to Rollins Pond. From what I've read, it's more of a family oriented campground with more activities. I'm hoping to reserve a more "quiet" area like the site my fiance and I know and love from a few years ago. If anyone has any suggestions as to what sites or sections of the campground we might find that, I would greatly appreciate the suggestions!

Thanks in advance!! :moose:
Montreal-Kayak
Years at Fish Creek: 1
Camping Equipment: Tent

Re: Quiet wooded campsite near the water?

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi,

We have never been to FCP or Rollins in the high season but we had a look at what could be interesting (quiet) sites in the regular season. I would suggest C13 or C14 (even better) for privacy...
But no lake view there (or limited stars view)... It also depends if you have a tent or a big camper but you can get the details about each specific site on the website.

We only started to go to FCP and Rollins last year so you might get better advices from regulars !

Mario
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Have you looked at the Maps of Fish Creek and the campsite photos? There is enough visuals on the site to literally visit every area of the campground.

See http://fishcreekpond.com/parkmaps.php, http://fishcreekpond.com/mapnavigator.php, and http://fishcreekpond.com/campsiteguide.html

If you want a more quiet, secluded spot then really only C section would be your choice at Fish Creek. Its mainly just more 'social' that Rollins since your somewhat closer to your neighbours. Rollins does have some more private sites. Check out the Campsite Guide, there are over 5,000 photos of the campsites at Fish Creek, including C section.

Next to that you're best bet for quiet on the water camping in a more secluded setting would be Cranberry Lake, Eighth Lake, Lake Eaton, Lake Durant... There are some other gems we have discovered, although it really depends on what you are camping in (ie pup tent or mega motorhome), when you are going and what amenties you require. Many of the other ADK campgrounds (DEC/State) are still open thru mid October and there are usually quite a few sites that I would say are on the more on the quiet side. If you're tenting, there are always the great island sites surrounding Fish Creek. Maybe gives us some more details on your criteria and we can make a few more suggestions if you would be considering somewhere other than Fish Creek but with still a similar lake setup.
mrsoz88
Your Real Name (optional): Stephanie

Postby mrsoz88 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Thank you both for the feedback! I will definitely have to check out the photos of Loop C and will also look into those other campgrounds that you've mentioned, Dave.

We really don't have too many requirements. We have a 4 person tent, don't need electric or any special amenities (just a site that allows us to park the car there. I looked into the Saranac Lake Islands and saw that a number of sites are boat-only access. We don't have a boat, so I don't think that will work for us (unless there's another method I'm unaware of)). What we really are looking for is a great spot to escape to for a few days. We expect neighbors at any campsite but are just looking for a spot where it'll be a little more on the quiet side :)

Thanks again! I truly appreciate the suggestions.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:39 pm

If you don't mind ruffing it a bit, island camp in follensby clear pond. Just North up the road from FC in the parking lot before the bridge is a parking lot or further down the road at the boat launch. Very quiet. my favorite site is to the left straight back on the last big island on the back south side. nice spot or paddle to just before the last section where a nice spot on the point. Google map it to get a better idea. You will be using a pit privy but in the places I hve stayed they are taken care of and the quiet is absolute and water is the best. no fee for the sites but they are first come first serve but in Sept there should be no problem.
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:37 pm

There are several car access campsites off the Follensby road which would work, no boat required. Free too. No idea what the outhouses are like mind you lol. You can always rent canoes or kayaks at Hickocks if thats of interest.
Karl
Camping Equipment: 1966 Scotty
Your Real Name (optional): Karl

Postby Karl » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:59 pm

kkirsch wrote:If you don't mind ruffing it a bit, island camp in follensby clear pond. Just North up the road from FC in the parking lot before the bridge is a parking lot or further down the road at the boat launch. Very quiet. my favorite site is to the left straight back on the last big island on the back south side. nice spot or paddle to just before the last section where a nice spot on the point. Google map it to get a better idea. You will be using a pit privy but in the places I hve stayed they are taken care of and the quiet is absolute and water is the best. no fee for the sites but they are first come first serve but in Sept there should be no problem.

Not sure is the OP is still reading this post. But want to +1 follensby clear pond. I use to camp there many years ago when I did a lot of backpacking in the Adirondacks. follensby is a great place to camp. I usually do 1 night of kayak camping there while I'm at Fish Creek. Most of the sites are kayak/boat camping, but there is a trail that runs along the coast off the rt 30 parking lot that brings you to a few sites you can walk to.

Might be more rustic they you are looking for, and the pit privy, well lets just say I have years of backpacking under my belt, and use best backpacking practice over the pit privy.
Karl
1964, 1965 and 1966 Serro Scottys
Kayaks, Bikes and fishing poles
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:33 pm

There are also some sites off of floodwood road that are on the water but again you will need to use a pit privy. For the follensby sites you can get to them by parking in the boat launch parking lot. There is a trail off to the right that goes around the water. There are several designated sites a short walk the sites are reasonably far apart with a nice beach and the best swimming in the area. Some sites share a privy but post season I doubt you will see very many people. If you are FC past season (Sept - End) and not on a weekend there usually are some privacy once you get past the point (Site 50
Click for more info!

- 80).

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”