Ice Status - Opening week-end

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
Montreal-Kayak
Years at Fish Creek: 1
Camping Equipment: Tent

Ice Status - Opening week-end

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:47 pm

Hello everyone !

Same question as last year, except opening is one week earlier this year.
What is the ice status in front of the camping sites or in the area ?

Last year, during the 18-21 apr week-end we managed to paddle from the campsite to Floodwood Pond.

Any update would be appreciated !

Mario
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: Ice Status - Opening week-end

Postby CampADK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:48 pm

We were in the area a few weeks ago. Lakes were all still covered in lots of ice. Hasn't been much warmer. Headed back tomorrow, not sure if we'll make it over to FCP however. I doubt there will be any paddling to be ahead for opening weekend due to the long/cold winter. I suggest you bring your skiis instead!

We won't be able to make opening weekend, but hoping to go around the following weekend to get in some skiing on Fish Creek peak lol.

Montreal-Kayak

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi Dave !

I was looking at some of the WebCam links you gave me last year but it's difficult to see what are the waterbodies conditions in the area... Hopefully, the stream between Fish Creek and Floodwood will be unfrozen. If not, we'll just do some hiking in the area :)

Today it was around 10C in Montreal (around 50F). Tomorrow more snow on the way... Crazy weather !

I'll probably phone the Park Wednesday or Thursday next week to see if it is worth bringing the kayaks.
Hopefully someone will be there a couple of days prior to opening.

I suppose it will be like last year at the opening: Heated bathroom but no showers.
BJJINNY
Your Real Name (optional): Johnny

Postby BJJINNY » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:09 pm

On the southern end of the Park, the Great Sacandaga Lake is still fully iced over although there are some very tiny spots of open water where creeks pour into the lake. Snowmobiles were out on the lake last night. The Sacandaga River above the Wells campground is open all the way to Lake Algonquin, but below the campground and all the way down to the GSL (probably 14 miles or so), it's mostly solid ice. Again, some small open spots where tributaries join, but no broken up ice yet. The river enters the lake just north of our village, and it's all still solid. The lake level has remained steady at about 747.70 for the last two weeks. (Ice out is hastened by rising lake levels which break up the shore line ice. Since the level has remained constant for two weeks, the process is slower.)

The northern part of the Park had an even colder winter. Here the ground froze deep enough to freeze up some water lines which are supposed to be at least 48" or more below ground. I was informed that the frost up north has penetrated as deep at 7 feet into the ground.

I'm pretty sure that ponds at FCP are still very solid if what we have down here is any indicator. Fish Creek itself is a slow moving body of water that is maintained at a very constant level year round. That means that ice breaks up slower than rivers that have stronger flows and greater drops in elevation. The colder runoff is slower to warm up the creeks and streams.

My best guess is that there won't be much opportunities for boating during opening weekend.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:00 am

Mirror Lake just finally started to show water on top of the ice yesterday. People were walking on it Thursday. Had some nice fresh snow this morning so many of us are headed out skiing this morning. We are going cross country ourselves. No hint of camping season in sight! Lol
Gail & Steve Collins
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:14 pm

I took a run up north along the Sacandaga River for about 10 miles earlier today. The major tributaries like the West Branch are open with lots of piled up ice floes on the shores. The Sacandaga River itself is still mostly iced over, but open spots are beginning to appear. There are a couple of places where small ice jams have already started to form.

GSL is still iced over but there are spots of water on top of the ice along the shores now. The lake came up half a foot over night due to runoff from yesterday's 60+ temps and some rain that then through overnight. As the lake level rises more, open water will appear along the shores and that will hasten the breakup and melting.

Last year, it was ice out on April 15th. I don't we'll see it any sooner this year.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
Montreal-Kayak

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:07 am

G09-P1020842.jpg
FCP Opening 2014
G09-P1020842.jpg (131.46 KiB) Viewed 7382 times

Thanks for the detailed info :)

This morning will be kayak day 1 here around Montreal. Yesterday I found a few safe spots where we should be able to start from.
But things changes on a daily base and we might find a big pile of ice this morning.

Regarding opening weekend at FCP, based on your info my feeling is that the pond itself will probably still be covered with ice.
But we might be able to start from the bridge and paddle up the stream (maybe up to Floodwood).

Mario
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:03 am

It's mid winter conditions in Lake Placid this weekend. Snowed yesterday and today. They where dog sledding on mirror lake yesterday. Looks like rain all weekend for opening. Not looking as the best opening weekend this year.
Montreal-Kayak

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:39 pm

C13-P1020777.jpg
FCP 2014
C13-P1020777.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
We might decide to arrive Saturday morning instead of Friday afternoon... Sunday should be ok with slightly higher temperature and no rain.
Last year finding dry wood was quite an adventure... see pic !

Kayak gears are all in orders - we did a 2-3 hours trip yesterday... Cold and windy !

I'll try to reach the park later this week and see if they can provide an update regarding ice condition.
Attachments
C13-P1020777.jpg
C13-P1020777.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:49 pm

So is winter over? Not sure camping season is quite there yet! lol

Here are photos I took over Easter weekend in Lake Placid. We had two days of snow (Sat/Sun)...

Heading towards Van Hovenberg to ski...

Van Hovenberg had tons of snow, lots of fresh snow too!

High Peaks and Mirror Lake snowcovered. Dog sleds were out on Mirror Lake on Sat and Sunday...

Lots of snow right in town...

Downtown Lake Placid...

CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Going back a few years however, we actually had a few kids swimming opening weekend April 17-19, 2009...

It was actually a pretty decent weekend...

abrayshaw
Camping Equipment: Lance 1575 trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Adam & Wendy

Postby abrayshaw » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Hello, CampAdk'ers --
We live 6 miles from Fish Creek campsite, and often walk the dog there on a regular basis. Today (Monday, 4/6), the campground staff were there using a large front-end loader to plow out a number of the campsites from just past the boat launch bridge to about 1/3 of the way around the A-loop. If you don't mind backing your RV into a narrow path surrounded by 2 to 3 foot high piles of very heavy wet snow, I'm sure you'll love opening days this coming weekend! However, it's supposed to be in the 50's this weekend, but there's an awful lot of snow that needs melting!
Be sure to bring your snow shovels to clear the path to the picnic table and fireplace. That is, if you can find them!
As for ice -- the creek is starting to open up a little both above and below the bridge, but there's still pretty thick ice on the pond. Definitely not going to be paddling conditions for some time yet.
Good luck to the early season campers!
- Adam Brayshaw, Lake Clear, NY
Montreal-Kayak

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:22 pm

Just reading last 2 messages... There's definitively more snow south of the border :)

Many thanks for the updates and pictures !

The good news is that ice started to melt around the bridge - Depending on Tuesday-Friday temperature, maybe kayak will be possible for a few km upstream next week-end.
We are used to conditions where we need to get wet in cold water to launch the boats (dry suits...). Snow on the campsite is not a problem since we are equipped for winter camping.

But cold and rain is usually NOT FUN (specially in a tent) - We'll check the weather forecast in the next few days and depending on the stream conditions we'll see if we need to postpone for the following week-end.

Last year, only 4-5 other sites were occupied for opening. I guess it's even going to be less this year !
Montreal-Kayak

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:48 am

I am trying to get in touch with the camp to get an update about the stream condition next to the bridge.

I am calling 518-891-4560 but there is no one in the office. I don't want to leave a message since it's a long distance call.

Is there any other way to get in touch with someone actually in the park ?

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”