Don't Cut Those Trees!

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
Can't Wait!
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 25
Your Real Name (optional): Susan,John,Jenavieve,Jacob
Camp Sign Name (optional): Hoefer family

Re: Don't Cut Those Trees!

Postby Can't Wait! » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:00 pm

I agree with Steve, park staff need to get their priorities straight. Instead of giving us a hard time about a third car being at our site for dinner, not permanently or overnight, they should be looking out for people doing these things that are actually a detriment to the park.

I inspected Site 216
Click for more info!

yesterday, it is sad what those idiots did to it, all the brush gone and even cut the birch limbs.
Susan ,John, Jenavieve & Jacob
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Saw a few lanterns being released from the peninsula this past week. They accented quite high and ruined a few of my long exposure night shots :mrgreen:

I doubt the people releasing them realize the potential dangers.
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Postby mistermatt1984 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Can't Wait! wrote:I agree with Steve, park staff need to get their priorities straight. Instead of giving us a hard time about a third car being at our site for dinner, not permanently or overnight, they should be looking out for people doing these things that are actually a detriment to the park.

I inspected Site 216
Click for more info!

yesterday, it is sad what those idiots did to it, all the brush gone and even cut the birch limbs.

I believe it was 212 the limbs were cut on. So if you were on 216 that's probably why you saw nothing.
pmangolds
Your Real Name (optional): Peter Mangolds

Postby pmangolds » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:57 pm

the campers cut about 11 trees, they were 'landscaping' the shoreline to get a better view, evicted 2 days into a week long trip. they mostly 'pruned' some branches and didnt get many full trees, and the trees they did get were smaller ones, no large trees were taken down. we are trying to get the speeders in the park because it is very dangerous for everyone even when everyone is driving slow. with our current staff numbers there is only so much we can do and we aere trying and apologize for any speeders we do not catch. As for the theives we are trying our best.
pmangolds
Your Real Name (optional): Peter Mangolds

Postby pmangolds » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:00 pm

and just so everyone knows, there is about 1400 of you and about 10 of us at any given time, there is only so much we can do with the staff numbers we are given
Eileen&Gary
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Your Real Name (optional): Eileen Miller

Postby Eileen&Gary » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:59 pm

pmangolds wrote:and just so everyone knows, there is about 1400 of you and about 10 of us at any given time, there is only so much we can do with the staff numbers we are given

While I will not speak for everyone, I feel it's safe to say that those campers you will find on this site have great care and respect for the staff at FCP. We know all too well that staff cuts affect your ability to do everything needed to be the best possible standards.

I think it is also safe to say that those FCP campers you will encounter on this site have a true love of FCP and in our endeavors to enjoy it, we also take pride in caring for it. Many of us have taken down a phone number listed on this site to help bring to staff attention those matters that go beyond being a "nusiance" and into being a danger. Speeding thru the grounds has become more of an issue in the last few summers - and that bears more of a priority than someone parking a third car on a site temporarily - especially a senior visiting another site. I think someone here was merely trying to point out that when resources are limited, they should be directed at more vital matters.

I hope someone does not need to suffer real injury for this to get the attention it deserves.

Putting others in danger, damage and disrespect to the grounds, failure to obey rules such as quiet hours or exposing yourself and urinating in public in front of children in broad dayling - these are matters that degrade the FCP experience for everyone - these are matters that call for attention. Prioritize the resources and everyone has a better experience.
C&S
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Your Real Name (optional): Sylvie & Chris

Postby C&S » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:26 am

While I agree that being hounded about having more than two vehicles on a lot might rate lower on the scale than speeding and other bad behaviour from campers, it's impractical to apply any sort of "priority" to monitoring such things.

Spotting parking violations is done as they make their rounds around the park, same as monitoring vehicle speed. The parking rules are outlined right from the start. It wouldn't make much sense to say "Oh, maybe I won't remind these campers about the parking rules just because there might be someone, somewhere else in the park that is doing something worse." They deal with things as they arise. Maybe a solution would be some sort of permit you can get at the gate for special circumstances.

The best thing we campers can do is be watchful of what's going on and report issues as they arise. Clearly there's not enough staff for them to be everywhere at all times and some things will get overlooked, but this isn't a prison, it's camping. :wink:
Rollins Fan
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Postby Rollins Fan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 am

Although I can see some sites could hold plenty of vehicles, many sites are just too small for more than one car, and when people park on the edge of their site, it's difficult to drive past, esoecially when pulling a camper and watching out for bikes and walkers. The 2 vehicle rule is there for a reason. And yes, it's stated up front, and shouldn't be a surprise. Too bad that these campgrounds which must generate sufficient income for NYS is so understaffed.
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former camper at Rollins Pond, now own a cabin in the Adirondacks, but Rollins will always be special to us.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 am

Staffing is certainly a big issue this year. Blame NYS not the park staff. They have had their hands full this summer, especially with the well/bathroom problems. Compared to other campgrounds, they are a lot more easy going then other places we have camped. Their liquor rules are very lax for example. Here in Ontario I remember being stopped for walking from our site to a friends with a cooler of beer. Had to pour our the every bottle right there on the road. At certain times of the year there are total liquor bans. Camping is more than twice the price of Fish Creek and you aren't even on the water. You would never be allowed to put a dock in, and you wouldn't be able to store you're boat trailer on the campsite. A second vehicle is extra $$$'s and may require parking at a park area a considerable distance from your campsite.

Fish Creek is one, if not the most profitable campground in NYS. In reality Fish Creek money supports other DEC campgrounds that many of us frequent that might otherwise have to be closed. They should however allocate more $$'s to Fish Creek before there are major issues. A 140 to 1 ratio of campers to staff is pretty drastic.

Luckily Fish Creek is visited by a lot of devote FCP campers who have been coming for years, and treat it like their home. They are much more likely to know and respect the rules and their fellow campers. I can't imagine what it would be like otherwise.
Eileen&Gary
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Your Real Name (optional): Eileen Miller

Postby Eileen&Gary » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Many good points presented here. I agree with all of you. The rules are there for a reason. It is a darn good thing that so many of the campers at FCP are annual visitors who are - for the most part - good people with genuine affection for the park and respect for each other. From what I am hearing, it would be a nightmare if this were not the case.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Sounds like Site 212
Click for more info!

is still under siege. Back in August another camper decided to cut off one of the big long branches on the big birch tree in the middle of the site to make it more of a 'drive thru'. The branch was quite large and had a lot of vegetation on it. You can see the branch in some of the Campsite Photos.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”