Don't Cut Those Trees!

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Re: Don't Cut Those Trees!

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:43 am

Coming back from the Trading Post today I saw 2 young guys in the 90's carrying a wind raved canopy frame down the road. Looking back in my mirror again I saw them running with it into the bushes rather than taking it to the dump station. Sad all the crap that is going on here these days!

Speaking of all the crap that is going on....while I was riding around the campground I saw a young man (old enough to know better) urinating on a tree in broad daylight. And the bathroom (which was open and usable) was right across the road!!

Gail
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
BigDaveyL
Years at Fish Creek: 1
Your Real Name (optional): Dave

Postby BigDaveyL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Gail & Steve Collins wrote:
Coming back from the Trading Post today I saw 2 young guys in the 90's carrying a wind raved canopy frame down the road. Looking back in my mirror again I saw them running with it into the bushes rather than taking it to the dump station. Sad all the crap that is going on here these days!

Speaking of all the crap that is going on....while I was riding around the campground I saw a young man (old enough to know better) urinating on a tree in broad daylight. And the bathroom (which was open and usable) was right across the road!!

Gail

Geeze!

FCP isn't exactly the wilderness and has running water!
Callie
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 30+
Camping Equipment: 26' Flagstaff TT

Postby Callie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Lt Poopsie...the person I am referring to knows who they are, and I did say something to them. Their outrage is what is hypocritical. If you have not cut trees, etc., then I am not speaking about you. So sorry that you take offense to my comments.

In terms of the goofy, stupid and potentially dangerous actions of others in the campground, I agree with the member who said that others should say something to the offenders and/or turn them in. If behavior like the Chinese lanterns, peeing on trees in plain sight and running your tiny dog out the car window (yep, saw that last year) and theft of equipment, is allowed to go on unchecked, FCP will not be fun and relaxing anymore. It's sad.
Respectfully, Callie
Eileen&Gary
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Eileen Miller

Postby Eileen&Gary » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Of all of the sad and unhappy things we have heard are going on this year - theft, water shortages, staff shortages resulting in lack of cleanliness and less policing of people behaving like riff raff - this is by a long shot the worst thing I have heard yet.

The very thought that some moron thought his view was more important than the natural beauty of the tress at FCP is simply disgusting to me. In my very humble opinion, this speaks to a wider issue. People - not necessarily just younger people - seem to feel awfully entitled nowadays. Over the last few years we have seen more and more disrespect for the grounds at FCP, and for fellow campers.

I do not think this is limited to FCP - but it stands out to us all because of our love for it. We work hard for those precious reservations, wait all year for our turn to be there and enjoy everything that FCP is and all that it means to us. Some of us drive great distances for that privilege. And we recognize that this is exactly what it is - a privilege. Take only photos, leave only footprints. That's the lifelong motto we were taught as children.

Now, we've got people dumping trash wherever they feel like, stealing from other people's campsites - a violation of a code we have all respected since time inmemoriam - relieving themselves in public in broad daylight within feet of a restroom - and acting as though they have some God-given right to kill trees to improve their view? We've seen people driving far too fast thru the grounds - with no regard for children and fellow campers. Quiet hours now seem to be optional to these people - with no rangers patrolling at night.

We have 8 lifelong campers in our group - 3 of whom are Eagle Scouts - the last thing we do is police our sites for any sign that we were there. At Steve's suggestion, I have added the office phone number to my cell phone. During my stay, besides enjoying my yearly trek to FCP - I will consider it my duty to be her protector. I want FCP to remain as it is for my grandchildren to enjoy with their families.

Okay, I am jumping down off my soapbox now.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Gail on our previous trip to Fish Creek I drove past a guy... probably about 24 who didn't even bother to locate a tree. He was standing on the pavement and peeing on to the shrubs right while on the road around Site 265
Click for more info!

! I couldn't believe it. He didn't even bother to look to see who was passing by him. I gave him a dirty look although I don't know that he even saw (or cared) as I drove by. I regret not saying something. Steve (and others) have made some great points in this regards.

Cheers from a slightly raining evening on Square Pond!
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:07 am

CampADK wrote:Gail on our previous trip to Fish Creek I drove past a guy... probably about 24 who didn't even bother to locate a tree. He was standing on the pavement and peeing on to the shrubs right while on the road around Site 265
Click for more info!

! I couldn't believe it. He didn't even bother to look to see who was passing by him. I gave him a dirty look although I don't know that he even saw (or cared) as I drove by. I regret not saying something. Steve (and others) have made some great points in this regards.

Up until just a couple of years ago, I'd have called that a Kodak moment! Not sure what to call it now with Kodak in bankruptcy, but I find I am keeping my cell phone close these days, and not just for the phone. The camera in it takes great pics. Maybe we can get Paul to start a Wall of Shame on the registration booth wall.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:15 am

Gail & Steve Collins wrote:Maybe we can get Paul to start a Wall of Shame on the registration booth wall.

Ha ha! Good one. Unfortunately we would need a very large bulletin board! No budget for that.
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:52 am

CampADK wrote:
Gail & Steve Collins wrote:Maybe we can get Paul to start a Wall of Shame on the registration booth wall.

Ha ha! Good one. Unfortunately we would need a very large bulletin board! No budget for that.

I'd toss a few bucks in the kitty to make that happen....
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

BigDaveyL
Years at Fish Creek: 1
Your Real Name (optional): Dave

Postby BigDaveyL » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:11 am

CampADK wrote:Gail on our previous trip to Fish Creek I drove past a guy... probably about 24 who didn't even bother to locate a tree. He was standing on the pavement and peeing on to the shrubs right while on the road around Site 265
Click for more info!

If I was there, he would have gotten the beat down.

265 is 5 spots away from the toilet in one direction and about 10 or so in the other. It litterally takes 2 minutes to walk there, in a sleepy haze - as we did that a few times.
sodarofamily
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 58
Camping Equipment: trailer- jay feather
Your Real Name (optional): maureen and greg
Camp Sign Name (optional): SodaroADK46er

Postby sodarofamily » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:19 pm

I can't believe people would do that.. so sad!
rv4life
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: rv

Postby rv4life » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:06 pm

I am camping on 215 a week from today! At least we'll have a better view lol! I can't believe someone would do that.
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:33 am

MLV wrote:A couple of weeks ago at another State Park we frequent, we got to see what I would call perhaps the greatest case of human stupidity I have ever seen performed by adults....Lighting chinese lanters in the middle of the campground only to get hung up in trees above a few dozen tenters who's children were snuggled inside sleeping. For those who are unfamiliar with the chinese lantern, you ignite a parafin "dish" inside of a wax paper "vessel" which floats up into the air by the hot air produced by the flaming dish of parafin/wax.

Balance deleted for brevity.

Here's the official release from the New York State Office of Fire Prevention on these items:

Bottom line is that if they are left to fly unattended, they are illegal.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

rv4life
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: rv

Postby rv4life » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Heres a project: We should start the Friends of Fish Creek (FFC) group. We would hold fundraisers for the park and donate the funds to fix campsites wrecked by idiots, site improvements, erosion control, etc. what do you think? I have seen this done with other parks in NYS and around the country.
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Postby mistermatt1984 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 pm

I wouldn't see an issue with using the Chinese lanterns in an area where there is a large body of water. Ie if the wind is blowing out of the southwest over a campground on Lake Ontario. I don't see it being an issue. We were at Kring Point in May and they were lighting them. Using high powered binoculars we watched them and eventually they completely went out about 1500 feet up. Being it was on the St Lawrence I wouldn't see any issue with that. I do agree however, that Fish Creek is NOT the right place to light one of those. With the elevation changes and the way the winds can change around them could force one down before it burns out and the Adirondacks is way too highly dense in trees. I think they are fine and a fun thing for children but they need to be used in a proper place. I would think the Eastern seaboard with a west wind that will take them out over the ocean is best.
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:57 am

rv4life wrote:Heres a project: We should start the Friends of Fish Creek (FFC) group. We would hold fundraisers for the park and donate the funds to fix campsites wrecked by idiots, site improvements, erosion control, etc. what do you think? I have seen this done with other parks in NYS and around the country.

I think the funds to fix up those campsites damaged by idiots ought to come from those idiots. Park management has the names of each and every person who occupies any given campsite so there is no excuse for not holding the wrong doers accountable. Time for park staff to get their priorities in order. Hassling senior citizens and folks with handicap permits over the third car rule needs to be set aside in favor of dealing with the real troublemakers.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”